Sunday, February 12, 2012

Steamer M.C. Pierrepont ~ 4 April 1884

United States Life-Saving Service Report

During a strong northwester, early on the morning of April 4, the M.C. Pierpont came ashore 7 miles NE of the station. She was en route from Cape May, NJ to Hatteras under the command of Captain Averill.
     Keeper Howard mustered his crew and went to her in the surfboat only to discover that assistance was not needed. Evidently Howard was queried by his headquarters because a report wasn't filed until the following June, "... Not noing it to be my duty therfore I did not make out Ocracoke report witch I hope you will pardon me this time. I was told that it not duty inless assistance was rendered therfore I beg pardon it was not intentionly done."
     The Pierrepont was traveling in "ballace" with a crew of 7 and 5 passengers. The vessel and cargo was given up as lost and sold by the captain.

No comments:

Post a Comment