Sunday, February 12, 2012

Schooner Mattie E. Hiles ~ 30 October 1892

Annual Report of the Operations of the United States Life-Saving Service for the fiscal year ending June 30, 1893:

Sinking; master beached vessel to save her; strong surf running. Landed crew of 5 men in surfboat and cared for them at station for 8 days, during which time life saving crew removed from schooner all articles that could be saved. (See letter of acknowledgement.)

CURRITUCK BEACH, NORTH CAROLINA, November 5, 1892

DEAR SIR: I wish to express my sincere thanks to you for the services and assistance rendered me by Captain T.J. Tillett and crew, of the Currituck Inlet Life-Saving Station. On the morning of October 30, I was compelled to run my schooner, the Mattie E. Hiles, of Newbern, North Carolina, ashore to keep her from sinking at sea with me. Without their assistance we would have been been bothered to land on said beach, but nearly as soon as we struck the outward reef they were alongside. I can not forget Captain Tillett’s kindness to me and my crew. Respectfully yours, DAVID IRELAND

No comments:

Post a Comment